The directorate is composes of two main departments Pathology Laboratory and Imaging departments.
- The pathology laboratory has five sections namely: Haematology and blood transfusion, Clinical chemistry, Histopathology, Parasitology and Microbiology. The laboratory had received international Accreditation on four tests from accrediting body SADCAS ON July 2016.
- The imaging department has three sections namely: X-Ray & CT Scan, Ultrasound and MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging).
The purpose of this Directorate is to provide quality diagnostic, training, and research services.
- to provide tertiary level diagnostic services, which includes various laboratory investigations and imaging investigations to all outpatients and inpatients.
- To provide opportunities of practical training to students from various colleges and universities in and out of Zanzibar.
- To conduct basic and operational researches
NUMBER OF STAFF
- A Central Pathology laboratory has a total of sixty nine (69) staff of different cadres.
- Department of imaging Services has a total of 25 staff inclusive of 5 radiologists